Race / Club Background: The name "Healani" mean "Heavenly Call" and was selected by Carl Widemann and Ed Stiles, founding members among the organizers of the "Healani Yacht and Boat Club" on March 28, 1890. The original name of the club was Healani Boat Club. The name was later changed to Healani Yacht and Boat Club in 1894 and is currently known as Healani Canoe Club, who`s club colors are Blue and White.
In the good old days, Regatta Day was a Territorial Holiday when Spirits ran high in rowing competition. Regatta Day fell on King Kalakaua`s birthday and he heartily contributed to the festivities. He sponsored Healani and even lent the use of his boat house until Healani`s own boat house was completed in April 1895.
Healani not only participated in yachting and rowing as their original sports but also soccer, swimming, football, and canoeing. However, rowing was the top sport and continued until 1940 when it was put aside due to the war. From 1945-1949, Healani was the only active rowing club in Hawaii and competition was limited to within its own membership.
With canoeing as the only sport then for Healani, the officers Clement Paiaina (President), Clayton Eaton (Vice President), Elizabeth Paiaina (Secretary), Pat Silva (Treasurer), and George Waialeale (Coach) guided Healani into the new era. In 1950, Healani alongside Outrigger, Waikiki Surf Club and Hui Nalu were the original organizers of the Hawaiian Canoe Surfing and Racing Association, which is now known as the Oahu Hawaiian Canoe Racing Association.
Although Healani had the finest barges for rowing, the club could not loacte the canoes it had owned prior to the war. A KOA canoe was ordered in 1951 and the log was chosen by canoe builder Charles Mokuahi of Kona, from the slopes of Kealakekua. The Greenwell Estate owned land named Papaloa, from which the canoe is called which means "Long Plain".
Although there was still a lot to learn, the club began making strides. In 1964 they became a real threat to its rival clubs by winning several regattas and took the state championship. Healani continued to strive by the taking first place in the fiberglass division of the prestiges Moloka`i to O`ahu race three years in a row (1966-1968), and the granddaddy of them all the KOA division in 1970 under Coach Franklin Crozier and again 1971 under Coach Richard "Babe" Bell.
Healani operated from the Ala Wai Field Clubhouse with practice on the Ala Wai Canal till 2010 when they moved to their present day site at Sand Island. Though we of Healani have not always won, we have always carried ourselves with good clean sportsmanship, win or lose. It takes a lot of sportsmanship to lose several years and come back stronger tan ever...This is what Healani is all about.
The present officers of the club are: Clem Paiaina (President), Elizabeth Paiaina (Vice President), Chieko Waialeale (2nd Vice President), Henry Keola (3rd Vice President), and Patrick Silva (Secretary / Treasurer).
Go Healani, GO!
View All Articles